Welcome to the University of Michigan Accountable Care Organization!
The University of Michigan Health System (UMHS) is participating in the Medicare Shared Savings Program Accountable Care Organization (ACO). An ACO is set up by a group of health care providers who believe that by working together, they will be able to provide better care for you. You will benefit because the doctors will be working collaboratively to fulfill patients’ healthcare needs.
UMHS is partnering locally with IHA Health Services Corporation and Huron Valley Physicians Assocation (HVPA) , two Ann Arbor, Michigan-based healthcare provider groups, to provide better, more coordinated health care. The three organizations join a larger, state-wide ACO called Physician Organization of Michigan (POM ACO). POM ACO is a partnership of over 1,800 physicians across the state of Michigan who are working together to provide better care for patients, better health for populations and lower overall health care costs.
Impact on Patients
- Doctors and other providers will communicate with each other to provide patients with better coordinated care. They will continue to partner with patients to help them make decisions about their healthcare.
- Doctors participating in this program will have more information about patients’ medical conditions, prescriptions, and visits to the doctor enabling them to provide patients with the right care at the right time in the right setting.
- Patients will spend less time filling out medical history paper work because their doctors may already have this information in an electronic health record. Patients likely will have fewer repeated medical tests because your doctors and hospitals will share information and coordinate your care.
- Patients’ care providers will be accountable for providing better care, better coordination, and better value - not just more tests and procedures.
- Patients will be in the center of care, and your doctors will be better able to keep you informed, and to keep listening and honoring your choices.
For more information on ACOs, watch this Medicare video.
For more information on POM ACO, visit this site.
For more information on IHA, visit the IHA web site at www.ihacares.com.
For more information on the partnership between UMHS and IHA, please visit this site.
For more information on HVPA, please visit this site.